Fo.Co. is the Lead partner of the Italian Consortium. Established in 2012, FO.CO is a social cooperative located in the south of Italy that works according to the principles set out in the Charter of United Nations and in Economy of Communion. Its main fields of interest are promoting the respect of basic freedoms, rights, political and economic independence, equitable and sustainable development and self-determination of peoples and individuals, implementing activities for development cooperation, humanitarian aid, education and any other appropriate actions.
The Cooperative provides a range of services:
• Welfare services for asylum seekers/refugees: mediation, legal assistance, and social assistance
• Literacy service (Italian language) for adult and minors asylum seeker/refugees
• Educational services (after-school activities) for underage’s and young of a Correctional Youth Centre
• Planning and consulting for public and private entities: collaboration with local authorities and national and international organizations as well, processing and presenting project proposals related to National and European calls.
• Management and reporting of SPRAR Projects (Italian national system for the reception of asylum seekers and refugee) in the Municipality of Chiaramonte Gulfi, Vittoria and Petrosino.
•Encourage territorial development and increase the value of the territory: projects aimed at the self-sustainable enhancement of the assets of Chiaramonte Gulfi’s municipality with touristic and educational purposes, and the full enjoyment of artistic / cultural assets and its related services. Specifically, it proposes the formation and acquisition of skills to form a group of young people between 18 and 35 years that will directly manage public goods with historical and cultural value in Chiaramonte Gulfi.
• Professional Training Courses: it was established the Mediterranean Training and Study Center G. La Pira, in partnership with Migrantes Foundation and La Pira Foundation, that will provide professional training for social operators, institutional actors working with refugees and special training on the inter-cultural mediation for asylum seekers and refugees.
• Adult Education Center: Fo.Co. in agreement with the Provincial Center for Adult Education of Ragusa is qualified to provide literacy courses designed to enable students (both Italian or migrants) to achieve the language certification A1, A2 and B1, as well as to obtain the middle school diploma.
In the same Consortium, there are 2 Provincial Centers for Adult Education in Sicily :
1) C.P.I.A Ragusa (RG)
2) C.P.I.A. Trapani (TP)
They provide educational courses of first and second level and literacy courses to learn Italian language. They collaborate to the growth of the area, convinced that for the cultural and economic development is essential to integrate people excluded from cultural and educational pathways, disadvantaged and migrants and to educate them at the citizenship. Both Adult Education Centers have significant programmes which provide general Adult Education within the framework of lifelong learning opportunities. Their main objective is the general development of each adult’s personality as well as the social, financial and cultural development of citizens and society in general.